Medicare Physician Fee Schedule for 2019
Medicare will begin raising their payments by .12% beginning January 2019 as a part of their strategy to increase accessibility, quality, and affordability. On July 12, 2018, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a proposed rule that includes proposals to update payment policies, payment rates, and quality provisions. These three elements will be issued under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS).
2019 Change Headliners
- Streamlining Evaluation and Management (E/M) Payment and Reducing Clinician Burden by allowing practitioners to choose how to document E/M visits, factor in duration of visit, and reduce the amount of documentation entries needed.
- Recognizing Communication Technology-Based Services, such as virtual check-in’s, remote evaluations, and telehealth services.
- Establishing two new therapy modifiers for PT Assistants and OT Assistants.
- Increasing the 2019 Conversion Factor (CF) to $36.05 from 2018’s $35.99.
- Overhauling the MIPS “Promoting Interoperability” performance category to support greater EHR interoperability and patient access to their health information.
Resources & Credits:
- “Any trademarks or logos used throughout this blog are the property of their respective owners.”